Thursday, September 23

One Of My Favorite Things

READING



It's so wonderful :)

I am loving reading through the Iowa Children Choice Award books. I posted about it earlier HERE.

I have 3 1/2 done and 20 1/2 to go.

I just finished one by Dan Gutman.
I had read one of his books before The Homework Machine (it was on the 09-10 list) and was entertained.
He is such a great author!

Dan had another one on the list this year from his And Me Series. The series is about a kid who can travel back in time through old baseball cards. 

Satch & Me follows Stosh and his elderly friend/coach back to the 40s to see if Satchel Paige was indeed the fastest pitcher ever. Satch was an African American player and therefore had to play in the Negro League. Stosh and Flip quickly became friends with Satch, got to see him play and found out he was quite the ball player. The book was funny, had a sweet story line, some love, easy to read and it made me want to have the power to time travel! Thank you Dan Gutman for writing great books for kids that adults can enjoy too!!


http://www.harpercollinschildrens.com/harperchildrensImages/isbn/large/6/9780060594916.jpg




I am 1/2 done with Hate That Cat, and I am LOVING it! It is written by Sharon Creech, who also wrote Walk Two Moons. When I read the title I wasn't so sure (I'm not a big fan of books about animals.. I know I am a cruel person).
But, I immediately fell in love with Jack.
The book is filled with Jack's journal entries to his teacher and is written in poem/journal entry form. It is hilarious and so easy to read.





Here are a few entries....

*Jack's uncle is a college professor and has been telling Jack that he doesn't write his poems correctly*

he said they were just
words
coming
out
of
my
head
and that a poem has to rhyme

and have regular meter
and SYMBOLS and METAPHORS
and onomoto-something and
alliter-something.

And I wanted
to
punch
him.


I am excited to continue reading.




Then it is on to this one



A story about a 13 year old Tom who's father was killed in the Civil War while fighting for the Union. He gets a job on a mysterious ship of the Union. Tom is quickly faced with the dilemma to spy for the Confederate Army for money...

Sounds like some fun history.


What have you been reading?!!

2 comments:

Nicole Suzanne Farley said...

Good one reader girl!

Mom X Dad said...

I just read Pirate Latitude by Michael Crichton - adventure/history - Ranger's Trail by Elmer Kelton - Adventure/History and now am reading The Fallen Angels by Bernard Cornwell - adventure/history. I love it that you are reading too. To travel anywhere and anytime by reading books is such great fun.
Keep it up!. Your posts are such fun to read!
Love you - fellow reader - Dad

Archive

Followers