Moving on...
I love food.
I love bad food.
I am not a very "healthy" eater.
However.... when I have kids, I will make them eat healthy. I'm not talking flax seed covered veggies or anything, but they will be eating much better than the kiddos I am about to mention. (I apologize if I get a little heated)
At our school all of the kids with cold lunch sit together. My student eats cold lunch every day and so I see lots of variety of lunches.
Today, I sat by an overweight second-grade girl who brought a hostess cupcake, a fudge round, cheese its and a juice box. Are you kidding me?!! I wanted to steal her the tub of lettuce from the salad bar and make her eat the entire thing and then go run the mile with the fourth graders. Ok.. maybe that was over the line. (And I actually didn't think of that until just now)
I told the girl that she needed to get a napkin, she had cupcake all over her face, she just looked at me. I repeated the direction two times before she got up. Then I started wondering if there was any correlation between behavior and the food kids were eating.
The kids who brought balanced lunches were kids I have never had a behavior problem with.
Cheese&Crackers
SandwichesFruit
Veggies
Milk
Water
Soup
The kids with unbalanced, processed, non-homemade food were kids that I have had to correct at one time or another. (There is real no problem with any of these, but when they are all a kid eats, it's no good)
Chips (once there was a day when a kid had 2 different kinds of chips.....)
Cookies
Cupcakes
Fruit roll ups
Jello
My conclusion was that it comes down to the parents. If they care about what their kid is eating, then they care about their behavior and about them being the best they can be. The parents that aren't that concerned about the food their children eat, are probably more focused on other things.
So, with that said, I will be packing my kids balanced healthy lunches :) And hopefully they will have variety, creativity and be homemade.
I hope this doesn't offend anyone. Loves!!
Enjoy your weekend!!!
GO HAWKS :)
2 comments:
I absolutely agree, Rachel!! Having balanced healthy meals just shows that the parents took the time to make sure that their kids are getting the best (and they are probably taking the time to discipline as well!) Do you wonder how many kids have to pack their own lunch? Good observation! :)
I am going to feed your children nothing but junk:)
Just kidding! You can cook healthy for my kids also:)
Post a Comment