Sunday, September 5

A Goal....

Setting goals for myself isn't really my thing. I have always struggled with making goals and then not achieving them and therefore hating myself for it.

But, this one is pretty easy and I have a lot of motivation.

I love to read. I love to read books intended for children. I love to read the same books I see kids reading at school. I love that while reading children's books I don't have to think as hard; but yet sometimes I learn a ton and am really inspired.

So, my goal for this school year is to read all 23 of the Iowa Children's Choice Award books for this year.

See the list    HERE :D

Some of the books look really interesting and others I am not really looking forward to reading. But, I am really excited to meet my goal.

If I keep up with it and can read fast I might try to finish the year out with books from the lists for grades 6-9 & 9-12.



I finished my first book on the list this afternoon and I absolutely loved it!!



Miss Spitfire By Sarah Miller

Decription from authors website:

Annie Sullivan was little more than a half-blind orphan with a fiery tongue when she arrived at Ivy Green in 1887. Desperate for work, she'd taken on a seemingly impossible job -- teaching a child who was deaf, blind, and as ferocious as any wild animal. But Helen Keller needed more than a teacher. She needed someone daring enough to work a miracle. And if anyone was a match for Helen, it was the girl they used to call Miss Spitfire.
For Annie, reaching Helen's mind meant losing teeth as raging fists flew. It meant standing up when everyone else had given up. It meant shedding tears at the frustrations and at the triumphs. By telling this inspiring story from Annie Sullivan's point of view, Sarah Miller's debut novel brings an amazing figure to sharp new life. Annie's past, her brazen determination, and her connection to the girl who would call her Teacher have never been clearer.

I was touched and inspired by Miller's portrayal of Annie Sullivan. I related to her in many ways because of the work I do with children with special needs and now specifically children with autism. I remember learning about Helen Keller in school and always being thankful that I could see and hear, but I was too young to understand what she and Annie went though. This book opened my eyes to their world and I can't wait to learn more about it. I plan on watching "The Miracle Worker" and reading their biographies.

I recommend this book highly and am adding it to my list of favorite ''childrens" books.

I won't be reviewing every book, but I will update with how I am doing and sharing my favorites.

Enjoy your day!

4 comments:

Mom X Dad said...

What a great goal! We can have our own mini book club, I am reading several of these books also! I look forward to reading Miss Spitfire. Thanks for the review. XOXO MOM

Rebekah said...

Ok so I have a special bond with Helen keller....When I was 8 I learned about her and was so intrigued that I decided I wanted to try being blind...so I tried it for a day, and wound up with a black eye from running in to a tree- yeah that's a favorite family story:)
Since then I have read her biography and LOVED it. She was truly a remarkable woman. I can't wait to read this book. Thanks for the suggestion!

Nicole Suzanne Farley said...

SO COOL! I just finished the one you gave me, I definitely want to read this one! Good GOAL girl! Sorry I missed your call the other night...I'll call soon. :)

Kelli B said...

You have just helped expand my "to-read" list by a LOT! I love it! I really enjoy reading childrens books.

I highly recommend you check out The City of Ember. I loved that book.

Thanks Rach, and good luck with your goal! I will keep you accountable :)

Archive

Followers