Thursday, January 7

My Story


 God radically changed my life one day and here is my story.

****I wrote this up for Geoff, one of our pastors at Westwind, because he is speaking at this years Challenge in Ohio. Have I mentioned how much we love our church?! If not, it is truly a gift from God. We finally found a home and we love it. If you don't have a church or ever want to check it out with us please do! It might just change your life.*****

Please feel free to ask questions, especially if you don't know who Jesus is.



My Story or His story to be exact




At a young age I knew Jesus loved me and that I wanted to go to heaven; so I asked Jesus to be a part of my life. However, Jesus always remained just a part of my life.
I remained in control of my life, and I gave Christ my leftovers. I lived a double life for a long time I was one person at church and with my church friends; yet someone completely different at school and with those friends.
I longed to be accepted and therefore my life revolved around living to impress those I thought were “cool.” I lied, drank, swore and became someone I was not proud of because I wanted others to like me. I would let my friends tell me how I needed to live my life and fall into the pressure they put upon me.
I figured that once I got to college I could make a fresh start. So, I continued living the way that I was; living my life for others. Striving to please them and for their approval.
 I would go to church things and decide that this time would be different, but I always went home and continued to live my life the way I had been. I told God no, and that I was going to do it my way.
Challenge 2000 came along and I decided to go. I told my friends the night before that I was going to miss them so much and was really sad that I had to leave them. I expected to have a good time, but that I would come back and keep living the same way I had been. But boy was I wrong!
I was around people who loved Jesus and liked me for who I was. I didn’t have to try anymore; I could be the person I always wanted to be. They accepted me, for me.
 I don’t remember what exactly was said by the speakers or a specific thing that made me go “a haw.” But, I do remember that I realized I needed to surrender my life and my desires completely to him. I needed to throw up my hands and be done being the one that was in control. I finally realized that Jesus was better than the world.
So, I threw up my arms and told him that I was done and to take me in his arms. I was done with my friends, with the lies and the way I had been living and most of all I was done living for others and I was ready to be his.
I felt so much freedom and joy in that moment. My chains were broken and I was one with my Savior. Tears streamed down my face as I realized my burdens were gone and that my life was going to be greater with him as my rock. I finally got what grace, freedom and a life of following Jesus meant and I did something about it. I was finally able to live life abundantly, the way he created us to be.
I knew that I was never going back to the way I lived before I surrendered. Because of this, I needed to make some changes. I went home and called my two best friends and told them about my life change and that we could no longer hang out because I needed the support of firm believers and those that would help me along in my new walk with the Lord.  
Life was so much better with living to glorify God and not others or myself. I clung to Jesus and he restored me.
Challenge changed my entire life. Jesus used it in a radical way in my life. I have no idea where or who I would be if I didn’t surrender my life at that moment.



2 comments:

Nicole Suzanne Farley said...

YAY for Jesus and life-changes...and YAY that He still changes us when we let Him...and YAY that we're sisters and we love each other. :) I LOVE that you posted this!

Mom X Dad said...

Thanks for sharing this moving message about the love and grace of Jesus our Lord and Savior. The changes you made at that time are still a vivid memory to me. I was torn watching you give up old friends and staying home weekends before you found new (super neat) friends that God supplied. You have been very blessed - revile in all those blessing. Live each day one at a time and keep loving Jesus.
Love you!
Your Dad and fellow heir.

Archive

Followers