Friday, July 4

Freedom

I had no idea that today would bring what it did for me. I never expected to leave fireworks with tears in my eyes and feeling closer to the Lord. I wish that there was a tool that could take my thoughts and blog them for me, but here is the best I can do with what I was thinking. 

Brian and I went to the Waukee fireworks-totally wonderful! They were playing music during the fireworks and songs about the US and our freedom and it got me to thinking how incredibly thankful I am that I live in this country, can worship God freely and that I have the freedom that I do. They then played "You Raise Me Up," cheesy maybe, I know, but it was very cool listening to it while watching the gorgeous fireworks. I was reminded of my freedom that I have in the Lord. How freedom of the Lord is like our freedom in America on steroids :D

I was honestly brought to tears thinking about how awesome and beautiful the freedom that I have is. I had to work today, covered two parades, and I was really upset about it. I wanted to be off, essentially I wanted to be "free." While watching the gorgeous booms in the sky I thought back to those that I met while in the Dominican. Thinking how they don't get to experience things like this. They do not have any idea what we have here. So here I am sitting there thinking how I complained about going to work- going to cover people celebrating freedom, when they have nothing. It was a good reality check to say the least. 

So, then comes the finale- it was insane. It was so gorgeous, tons of beautiful fireworks- it was just crazy. They played the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" and the fireworks were so bright, the only think I could think of was when Moses saw the glory of the Lord. I started crying, again, in awe of what that would have been like. 

Also, to just imagine the glory of the Lord and how beautiful he is to me. That one day I will be with my sweet savior and I will see his glory. Also, that his truth is marching on- what a wonderful thing in this crazy "free" world. If only people could see the glory of the Lord and experience real freedom. 

I am sure this all sounded a lot better in my head, but I had to get it out. 

So, may you rejoice in the fact that we are free in our country but most of all that if you have Jesus that we have un-imagine-able freedom. 

So Happy Fourth of July and praise our sweet Lord for all he has done for us. I am beyond thankful for my life and especially my freedom that Christ has lavished upon me with his grace and love. 

2 comments:

Mom X Dad said...

Rachel

What a wonderful experience you had at this fireworks display! I have had those thoughts and feeling also but I could not express them as you have here - it was exciting for me to read your thoughts! Our freedom in this country is truly awesome - I read so much history and never has a country had what we have. God's grace is where true freedom comes from - believing in Him sets us free from the bondage of sin and the death that results from it. I love you so very much - Brian sure is a lucky guy!! Love Daddy-O

STEPHANIE. said...

Wow, sounds like an awesome experience... I should keep Waukee in mind for another year...aren't moments like that totally incredible! I love it when my heart softens like that to be so thankful and truly see God's beauty.

Archive

Followers