Friday, November 14

On Finding Out We Were Having Twins - Part 1

Matt and Amy spontaneously came down to visit before Matt had something for school and we soaked up our time with them! They told us about some friends of theirs, the Pagels, who had just found out they were expecting twins. Amy and I figured out that Trista and I were very close in our due dates and I said “Who finds out that late in their pregnancy they are having twins? That’s crazy! I didn't realize that still happened these days.” We all talked about the ups and downs that twins would bring and our thoughts and feelings if it ever happened to us. I thought it would be fun after the first year, Brian wasn't so sure he would be a fan.

I had an appointment with my midwives the next day, and was so excited to hear baby’s heartbeat again! I told Brian to stay at work since the appointment was just routine and we were going on vacation soon. I dropped Amy off at a Starbucks to wait for Matt and on I went. I saw Lacy and Rebekah and everything was going along as planned, or so I thought. Rebekah, a nurse who is in training for her degree in midwifery, felt my fundal height and checked for a heartbeat. She found one and then I heard a very similar sound when she swiped the other side of my belly, to which she said in a sweet but unsure voice “That’s mom.” Rebekah smirked a bit and asked Lacy to feel my fundal height, which is how high the uterus is and how they can measure what week you should be, she did and smirked as well. Lacy asked me how sure I was when this little babe would be due to arrive and I assured her I was indeed sure. She took the Doppler and again, found two heartbeats- the second one found before wasn't mom. They both just started giggling and Lacy said, “Rachel, I think you have two in there. I think you’re having twins!”

My eyes peered out the window and as I looked at the clouds I couldn't help but just laugh. Tears filled my eyes and with a huge goofy grin on my face I said “My husband is going to kill me.” We talked a little bit more about needing to be sure via an ultrasound, but they were pretty sure there were two. Lacy also mentioned there could be something wrong, so my emotions were all over the place. We hugged and said our goodbyes because we wouldn't be able to see midwives anymore due to the fact that they don’t work with multiples.

I walked out of the clinic feeling all sorts of emotions. I called Brian at work, but he didn't answer. I then called my friend Kelli who has twins knowing she would know exactly how I was feeling, but she didn't answer either. My mom and Liz were together so I called them in a crazy array- they thought something had happened to Brian. But, after the confusion they were very reassuring and excited.


I knew I didn’t want to tell Brian over the phone and I was so thankful that he didn't answer the first time. I wanted to tell him in a sweet say when he got home, and I knew I could always count on Caden and Ellie to tell him if I needed. I was excited and nervous to tell him. I knew he would be shocked, but excited. Even though he mentioned the night before he thought twins would be a little crazy and it wasn't something he thought he wanted, I knew he would be excited. He’s such an incredible husband and is going to make a fantastic father. 

Brian and I always talk on his way home from work and so when he called I did everything I could to get him off the phone so he didn’t ask too many questions. The conversation was dwindling and I told him to just enjoy the drive home and I’d see him soon. I was saying goodbye and he says, “So the appointment was good?” I got super nervous and said “Yes, everything went well.” In light of the conversation we had the night before, Brian then asks “They didn't find two heartbeats did they?” I just paused and then paused some more. I replied “Ummmmm….. you weren't supposed to ask. I was going to tell you when we got home.” He thought I was kidding and didn't believe me. After some convincing that I was indeed telling the truth, and him almost driving off the road, I told him everything about the appointment.

When we got home we just hugged and laughed. We prayed that first and foremost for good health. Although we were a bit worried that something could be wrong, we were pretty convinced that we were having twins. We went to church softball and I could hardly keep my secret in. One friend asked me if I was okay and as we hugged I whispered “Shhhh, but they think I’m having twins!” 



3 comments:

The Chidisters said...

Yay! I have secretly been so curious about how you found this out! Love that you had JUST talked about it the night before. God has such a sense of humor. I am so thrilled for you guys and your little girls are precious!!! Can't wait to hear part 2!

Panharith said...

I'm so excited for you and your daughters are precious!




Goldenslot สล็อต
goldenslot mobile

Unknown said...

Brilliantly written and well-executed blog it has all the desired elements which every reader is willing to read on a daily basis and you have delivered that quite easily and efficiently. So keep sharing stuff like this on regular basis and keep us guided in a better way.
Home Furnishing Exhibition

Archive

Followers