Read this post first about The Mysteries of Harris Burdick if you haven't already
Mr. Linden’s Library
By: Rachel Farley
Evelyn loved when the weather was warm and she could walk home from school. She would take her sweet time and pretend she was the princess of the town. She would sing and twirl her dress as she smiled in the sunshine. Her brown curls would bounce up and down.
One day as Evelyn was walking home from school, she saw something she had never seen before. There was a little white house right next to the ice cream store. Evelyn saw a small sign on the front porch that said Mr. Linden’s Library. Evelyn loved books and had practically read every book in the town’s other library.
Evelyn was so surprised when she walked in. She expected to see shelves and shelves of books. However, there were just three books sitting on a table.
“Hello? “Evelyn said softly.
“Why hello there little one. Welcome to my library. I am Mr. Linden,” the gray haired man replied in a sweet and soft tone.
“Hi, I’m Evelyn and I love to read! Why do you only have three books?” Evelyn asked.
“Well sweet child, because these are the only books that you need. I have written them myself.”
“May I look at them?” Evelyn asked him.
“Of course you may. But dear child, my books are special. You must never fall asleep while reading one of them. I can not tell you why, but you must promise me to never fall asleep while reading one of my books.” Said Mr. Linden in a very serious voice.
“Sure, I promise.” Evelyn replied, but she was very confused.
Evelyn picked up the book in the middle. It wasn’t very thick but it was very heavy. It was a book about a princess, Evelyn’s favorite thing to read about. There were no pictures, just words, but that was all right with her. She loved to imagine anyways.
“I think I will take this one, “ she told Mr. Linden.
“Ahhh…. That is the first one that I wrote. I wrote it for my little girl Lilly when she was your age. You may keep it for one week Evelyn. You must remember what I said little one, you must never fall asleep while reading it.” Mr. Linden told her.
“Yeah, I won’t Mr. Linden. I will bring it back to you next week. Thanks! Oh, and how old is Lilly now?” Evelyn replied.
“Well, Lilly is no longer with us Evelyn. She was eight at the time I wrote the book for her. The same age as you right?” said Mr. Linden.
Evelyn paused. She didn’t know what to say. “I’m sorry Mr. Linden. How did you know?” Evelyn said to him. She knew if she told him she knew what it felt like to loose someone close to you that she might start crying.
“It is quite alright child. I could tell you were eight by that sparkle in your eye. Now, run along so no one worries. I will see you in a week. No falling asleep while reading, don’t forget,” said Mr. Linden.
Evelyn waved good-bye to Mr. Linden as she left his library. She thought about Mr. Linden’s daughter Lilly and wondered what happened to her. She wished that her daddy would write a story for her. He was always busy with work though, and hardly had time to spend with her. Evelyn’s mother passed away when Evelyn was six. She missed her mom so much, she knew her dad did too and that was why he worked all the time.
She put the book in her backpack and started walking home; as she did she wondered what the story would be about. She thought about her mom and how she would always read her a story before she went to bed. She missed those days, but was happy her mom wasn’t in pain anymore. Her mother died of cancer and was really sick.
Evelyn walked in the door and gave Mopsy, her cat a hug. She was hungry so she made herself a cup of chicken noodle soup like she did almost every night. The soup reminded her of her mom and she didn’t care that it was hot outside. She finished her soup and did her homework before she opened her book from Mr. Linden.
The sun was setting and she knew her dad would be home soon. She always read in her bed, where her mommy read to her every night. Evelyn curled up in her favorite yellow blanket and opened the book.
There was a handwritten dedication in the front in beautiful cursive handwriting. Evelyn read it out loud.
To Lilly
You are my sweet and beautiful daughter.
May you get lost in this book and know that you are my true
princess. I hope this book makes your dreams come true.
princess. I hope this book makes your dreams come true.
I love you forever, sweet child of mine.
Love Daddy
Fighting back tears Evelyn turned the page. She knew her daddy loved her, but he wasn’t the same since her mom passed away. She pretended that she was Lilly and this was her very own story.
She began to read and was amazed at how fascinating the book was. It was about an enchanted land with beautiful gardens and the sun shined every day. Evelyn imagined what it would be like and her eyes got very heavy. She tried to keep them open, but they soon closed. Mr. Linden had warned her about the book, but now it was too late. Evelyn had fallen asleep.

1 comment:
Wow Rachel - this is soooo good. I can't wait to find out what happens to Evelyn. I hope you write more! This has pulled at my heart already!
Your Daddy sure loves you!
Love Daddy!
Post a Comment